KNOW THE SCORE AND THE GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATION (GDPR).
1 WHO WE ARE
knowthescore.info is a website run by the Scottish Government providing information about drugs and free confidential information and advice. It provides a local database of drug abuse help and support, and advice on what to do in a drug related emergency.
The Scottish Government is the devolved government for Scotland and has headquarters at St Andrew’s House, Regent Road, Edinburgh, EH1 3DG.
2 HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
This privacy statement explains how the knowthescore.info website collects and uses personal information about you to provide you with services. In general terms, knowthescore.info collects and uses personal information about you to:
- Provide you with services, activities or online content, to provide you with information about them and to deal with your requests and enquiries;
- Provide you with the most user-friendly online navigation experience;
- We may also show you relevant advertising on third party sites;
- Use IP addresses and device identifiers to identify the general location (country or city) of users to block disruptive use, and to establish the number of visits from different countries;
- For analysis and research purposes so that we may improve the services offered by knowthescore.info. This can include using geo-demographic information from external sources, where this helps us ensure we are making something for everyone;
- We may also use and disclose information in aggregate (so that no individuals are identified) for marketing and strategic development purposes.
2.1 WE COLLECT FROM YOU WHEN YOU:
- Visit our website (including cookies, IP addresses, hostnames and search engine);
- Use our live web chat, email or call us;
- If you chose to provide it, we collect your email address, contact phone number and any other personal data contained in your message. If you contact us asking for information, we may need to contact other public bodies to find that information. Once you have received a reply, we will keep a record of your message for a maximum of three months for reference and audit purposes, after which it will be deleted unless otherwise required in order to stay in contact with you about supporting the work of knowthescore.info.
- The data submitted will be recorded and stored securely in the website databases. Your data will not be used for any contact or marketing purposes, unless by your express permission and will not be passed on or shared with a 3rd party in any way.
2.2 LINKS TO OTHER THIRD PARTY WEBSITES
2.3 GOOGLE ANALYTICS & DOUBLECLICK
At an advertiser’s discretion, Google Analytics data may be examined in concert with data about knowthescore.info advertisements that have been shown using the Google Display Network or DoubleClick for Advertisers. Thus, knowthescore.info can understand how anonymous users interacted with the advertiser’s website after seeing knowthescore.info advertisements.
knowthescore.info may use this data to inform and optimise our advertising or awareness raising campaigns. Users may opt out of the DoubleClick cookie by visiting the Google advertising opt-out page or visitors may opt out of our use of Analytics by visiting the Google Analytics Opt-out page.
2.4 GOOGLE ANALYTICS & REMARKETING
Third party vendors, including Google, may show knowthescore.info advertisements on sites on the internet.
We may also use analytics data to serve advertisements based on a user’s prior visits to our website, as well as to develop remarketing lists for customised campaigns (Remarketing Lists for Search Ads).
3 WHEN WILL KNOWTHESCORE.INFO CONTACT ME?
knowthescore.info may contact you in relation to any service, activity or online content to ensure that knowthescore.info can deliver services or in relation to any correspondence we receive from you or any comment or complaint you make to knowthescore.info.
4 YOUR RIGHTS
You have a right of access to any personal data we hold about you, by making a Subject Access Request (SAR).
In addition, if you believe that the data we hold is inaccurate or incomplete you can ask us to update our records. If you are unhappy with the way in which we process your personal data you can request that we stop or restrict the processing we complete using your personal data or ask us to delete the personal data we hold about you.
In some circumstances we may not be able to comply with your request. This is because some of these rights are conditional and can only be applied in certain circumstances and/or where there is no compelling reason to continue to process your personal data.
The Data Protection Officer
Data Protection and Information Assets Team
We use a third party provider for the webchat service on knowthescore.info and subdomains. This software is provided by Livechatinc and staffed by With You.
Giving your consent
To record, use or share your personal information we must ask for your consent.
Our web chat will ask you to give your consent prior to starting the conversation. However, before we share any information we will again ask for your consent and explain why we need to share the information and with whom.
You have the right to withdraw your consent at any point during the chat or afterwards. You can do so by either talking to the advisor or, if it is after the conversation, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
What information we collect
If you use the webchat service there’s information that is visible to us, including your IP address, where on our website you’ve come from and the type of device you’re using.
Your email address will be visible to the advisor in the transcript if you choose to have the transcript sent to it.
We keep the transcripts of individual chats in a secure online database for two years in line with data protection law.
Webchat advisors are able to see what you’re typing. This speeds up how quickly we can get you the right support.
Our advisors won’t ask for personal information that identifies you. The only identifiable information that we have when someone accesses the webchat is the IP address of the device they you’re using.
How we share this information
We may use and share aggregated information for training, quality assurance purposes to deliver, advertise and improve our services. Aggregated information is data that has been mixed together and summarised. Individuals can’t be identified from the summary.
If it is felt that there is immediate danger to you, or to another individual, we may share your IP address with the police. They will be able to trace the IP address back to the device that was used. We would only do this if there was real concern for your or someone else’s immediate safety.
Search our drugs A‐Z
Know the highs, know the lows, know the risks. Learn everything you need to know about drugs right here.
To get started, type the name of the drug you want to know about.