Also Known As: Double Stacked, Red Mitsubishi, Chicken Yellow, PMMA, Chicken Fever, Pink McDonalds, Pink Ecstasy, Mitsubishi Turbo, Killer, Dr Death
PMA is similar to MDMA (the chemical in ecstasy). It can make you feel alert, alive and full of energy. Its similarity means that PMA is actually sometimes sold as ecstasy and, therefore, a lot of the street names associated with PMA are actually street names for ecstasy pills. However, PMA is more poisonous and can kill at lower doses than MDMA. Also like MDMA, it can cause a fatal rise in body temperature.
PMA is sold as a pill but the pills can be lots of different colours and can have different marks on them. It is relatively easy to grind down pills to re-colour and re-brand them with a new logo or design, so a pink heart-shaped pill can be made into a green round pill or a yellow square pill. As with any pill you can never be sure what it contains or how this might affect you.
PMA is similar to MDMA (the active substance in ecstasy) but can kill at lower doses as it is more poisonous.
PMA effects include:
- Giving people an energy buzz that makes them feel alert and alive
- Feeling in tune with surroundings
- Sounds and colours are more intense
- Feelings of great love for friends and strangers.
The effects of PMA can a take a while to kick-in so there’s a risk of the user double-dosing to compensate, risking a fatal overdose.
- As little as a quarter of a tablet (60mg) is enough to significantly increase blood pressure, body temperature and pulse rates.
- Anyone with a heart condition, blood pressure problems, epilepsy or asthma can have a very dangerous reaction to the drug.
- Anyone using too much can get paranoid and depressed.
- PMA can cause muscle spasms and lots of people feel very sick after taking it.
- PMA affects the body's temperature control and the risk of overheating may be greater than ecstasy, as it is more poisonous. People can get so out of control that they don't realise they're in danger of overheating and dehydration. Users should take regular breaks to cool down and should keep hydrated. If you feel your temperature soaring on the dance floor seek help immediately.
- Be a little careful not to overdo it when drinking fluid to avoid dehydration and overheating – as drinking too much water can also be dangerous or even fatal. Just remember to sip no more than a pint of non-alcoholic fluid every hour. This is important because drugs like PMA and MDMA (ecstasy) can cause the body to release a hormone which suppresses the production of urine. So, if a user drinks a few pints of liquid too quickly, water builds up in the body and interferes with the body’s salt balance. This excess of water in the body can directly harm brain function; and this can be as deadly as not drinking enough water.
- In recent years there have been a number of deaths and hospitalisations that have been linked to PMA and/or PMMA. It appears that those affected thought they were taking ecstasy pills containing MDMA and did not know that the pills contained PMA and/or PMMA.
- Mixing PMA with alcohol can have serious consequences – the effects of PMA are increased, making the user more likely to experience its negative effects.
Long term: Long term risks have not yet been established, but it is thought that they are likely to be similar to the risks associated with ecstasy.
PMA and PMMA are Class A drugs - illegal to have, give away or sell. Possession can get you up to seven years in prison and/or an unlimited fine. Supplying someone else, including your friends, can get you up to life in prison and/or an unlimited fine.
Remember: Having a criminal record can make it difficult for you to get a job or visa if you want to travel abroad.
What's the difference between possession & supply (dealing)? What happens if you're under 16? Learn more about drugs and the law.